Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2014 10:33:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBS(s)D

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Paul Kraus wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2014, at 10:49, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've used Plextor, Samsung, and Toshiba with FreeBSD, preferring the Marvell controllers.
>
> Good point Warren. The controllers matter (not just for the SSD but
> for ZFS as well). You want plain AHCI controllers for ZFS, you do NOT
> want RAID controllers.

True, but I was talking about the onboard controllers on the SSDs
themselves.  There are two common ones out there: Marvell and Sandforce.
Sandforce controllers show high speeds on compressible data, but seem to
have more problems.  I have used Kingston SSDs with Sandforce
controllers in a couple of Windows machines without problems, but not
for myself or for any serious duration with FreeBSD.

Samsung controllers are or were Marvell-based but customized.  Plextor
uses LiteOn SSDs with Marvell controllers and custom firmware.  Intel
has custom firmware on Sandforce controllers for many of their new
drives.  Other vendors use stock controllers and stock firmware, Crucial
being big on the Marvell side, and many others using Sandforce.