Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:30:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/newfs newfs.8 newfs.c

:
:This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
:--------------452C775F06A8B39928947702
:
:	What do you guys think of the attached patch? If this is such an
:important issue, it should be documented. I for one am glad I saw this
:discussion, because I'm looking at creating a custom file system for
:about 300,000 files that are 400k or smaller. I'm looking to improve
:file I/O performance, so I thought a smaller frag size might get things
:packed in tighter...

    Good idea.

						-Matt

:+++ newfs.8	2001/10/15 22:21:39
:@@ -111,6 +111,9 @@
: .It Fl b Ar block-size
: The block size of the file system, in bytes.  It must be a power of 2.  The
: default size is 8192 bytes, and the smallest allowable size is 4096 bytes.
:+The optimal block:fragment ratio is 8:1.
:+Other ratios are possible, but are not recommended, and may produce
:+unpredictable results.