Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:37:31 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

> Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> writes:
> > These programs should *not* be trying to use these functions.  These
> > functions are meant for manipulating time_t, which is a
> > representation of "now".
>
> Mike, we can't fix everybody else's broken software.  What we *can* do
> is fix *ours* so it plays nice with theirs.

Our software doesn't need fixing.  It works just fine, and just as it
always has right now.

This "fixing" you're talking about will introduce subtle and egregious
problems in all manner of situations, and the amount of grief that
it will cause will far outweigh any of the putative "benefits" that
have been suggested so far.

If there is a shift in the time_t paradigm, it's going to need to be
driven by the industry at large, and it will need to be supported by
wider consensus than a small frothing cabal such as currently stands
behind this set of proposals.