Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 2010 08:31:27 -0600
From:      Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: What is correct syntax in boot.config fo GPT partitions?

>I've used the syntax
>
>1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader
>
>in boot.config to specify the boot device. This doesn't work with GPT part=
itions. What's the correct syntax in boot.config for GPT partitions?

I looked at the source code to boot.c and there doesn't seem to be anything=
 specifically related to GPT partitioning. So I'm puzzled: If I have a two =
drive system with BSD loaded on both drives and the drives are configured w=
ith GPT partitions, how can I force the system to boot from the second driv=
e using boot.config? I've done with this MBR partitioning using either

0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
1:ad(1,a)/boot/loader

to specify either the first disk or the second disk. I've tried various inc=
arnations of this to select with drive to boot from in my GPT based system =
but nothing works. My impression is that it isn't supported, except for MBR=
 partitioning. Is this true?