Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:18:19 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        "."@babolo.ru
Cc:        George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS mounting the ports tree.

"."@babolo.ru writes:
 > >   2) I've tried just mounting /usr/ports, cd'ing into the directory of
 > >      interest, and doing a "make install".  This fails quickly, since
 > >      the INSTALLCOOKIE is there.
 > >
 > >      Doing a "make deinstall" then a "make install" works for simple
 > >      ports, but sometimes causes recompilation.
 >
 > make reinstall

This doesn't work consistently.  Proving it takes a bit of patience,
but....

Take a clean, virgin server w/ a minimal install and a clean set of
ports.

Do a make install of the XFree86-4 metaport.

Take a clean virgin client w/ a minimal install, mount /usr/ports from
the server above (I also have /usr/src and /usr/obj mounted, but
that's probably irrelevant).

cd to the XFree86-4 metaport.

Do a make reinstall.

It'll chug along for a while, and when it gets to the freetype2 port
it'll fail because it can't find gmake.  There's someting about the
way that the gmake dependency is built from the USE_GMAKE macro that
doesn't seem to work in this instance....

There's a similar trip up further down the line where something
requires unzip (don't remember the details off of the top of my head.

I have an adequate solution in place building my own packages, I'll
describe it as a follow up to my original question (so that it's
archived for posterity) once I've used it a bit more and tested it for
carcinogenicity in lab mice.

g.