Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:38:53 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'tickling' remote lpd

In message <2.2.16.19960110153135.1dd70b76@nething.com>,   you write:
>I have a remote printer that has stopped working. I have rebooted
>the remote machine, and lp'ing a job locally on that machine prints.
>(I have successfully printed remotely before, it just stopped working.)
>
>When I do a 'lpq -Premote', it tells me it is waiting for xx.xx.xx.xx
>to come up. How do I convince the local lpd to try again? I have killed
>and restarted lpd on the local machine, but it is still waiting.
>
>I can ping the remote, telnet to the remote and the remote can telnet
>to me.
>
>NOTE: I am subscribed to the digest version of this list, and I need this
>answer quickly. Please email me DIRECTLY.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
>----------------------------------
>AOS/VS, FreeBSD, DOS:
>I'm caught in a maze of twisty little command interpreters, all different.

lpd is very strange...(it retries quickly a few times, then it retries some
time (hours?) later...

(my take is it wasn't written for networking initially, someone had the
brilliant (-; idea to "lets extend this for ethernet!

Maybe look at plp...

Are you sure lpd is running on the remote is running lpd?  Do you kill all
the instances on all machines?

Also, use tcpdump or snoop to watch the network activity...and see what the packets
look like...

marty