Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 14:18:34 -0400
From:      Gene Stark <gene@starkhome.cs.sunysb.edu>
To:        cs.weber.edu!terry@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu
Cc:        blaise.ibp.fr!roberto@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu, phk@ref.tfs.com, FreeBSD.org!current@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu
Subject:   newfs weirdness...

>It is just as pessimal to precompensate for a "seek" on an IDE drive
>based on a fictional (WRONG) geometry as it is to do so on a ZBR'ed SCSI
>device

Agreed.

>The FS *really*, *really* wants to use the real geometry for the device
>to let it do its optimization.

Agreed.

>To make both the BIOS and the UFS access happy, the geometry needs to
>be fictitious for the BIOS and real for UFS.  And the slice drivers
>need to insure track boundries are observed.  And because there is

Agreed, though it is not always the case that the BIOS needs a fictitious
geometry.

The sticking point for me is that it is just as wrong to newfs a UFS
filesystem with a fictitious BIOS geometry as it is to newfs it with a
4096/1 geometry.  Using the fictitious BIOS geometry at least has the
advantage that an integral number of cylinder groups fit into the
partition, so you are not wasting a few thousand sectors at the end
of the partition.  Also, the "real" geometries supplied by the drives
generally have a nice relationship to the fictitious BIOS geometries,
so that again you get an integral number of cylinder groups in the
partition.

In the absence of information to the contrary, for an IDE drive it seems
to me that the best available information is that which is supplied by the
drive.  Barring that, what is in the disklabel is next best.  I can't
possibly see why a 4096/1 geometry is going to be uniformly better than
these other choices.  Plus you have to go to extra trouble to avoid
wasting sectors and getting the warning message.

							- Gene