Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:27:08 -0400
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Nielsen <john@jnielsen.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to "downgrade" a port in the tree

>> (10.13.2004 @ 1221 PST): John Nielsen said, in 1.3K: <<
> Hi folks-
>
> I have a policy/procedure question-
>
> I'm not much of a programmer, but I am the port maintainer for the
> mail/hotwayd port.  The version in the tree is the latest available
> version, hotwayd 0.8.  However, there are some serious bugs in this version
> that result in mangled e-mail headers.
>
> The author does not appear to be actively maintaining the port, since there
> have been no changes to the webpage (http://hotwayd.sourceforge.net) since
> February.  I am not aware of anyone else working on these bugs at present.
>
> The previous version of the software, hotwayd 0.74, works well (albeit with
> a smaller advertised feature set).  I never submitted a port for 0.74, only
> 0.71.  I think the best thing would be to have 0.74 in the ports tree.  I'm
> happy to submit a port-maintainer patch, but I wanted to see if there were
> any special considerations for going down a version.  What is the best
> place to notify end-users of the situation? (UPDATING?)  Is there a way to
> convince portupgrade that the .74 version is better than the .80 version
> for existing installations?
>
> Thanks for any input.  Please CC me as I'm not on the list.
>> end of "how to "downgrade" a port in the tree" from John Nielsen <<

Downgrading a port is perfectly acceptable in this situation. If you
cannot patch the 0.80 sources to unmangle the email addresses, submit a
PR downgrading it back to 0.74. All you need to do there is add
PORTEPOCH=	1
and it will appear as a newer version to portupgrade(1). I don't
personally think that it's even necessary to append UPDATING for this.
Noting this situation in the commit message should be sufficient.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw@magnesium.net || adamw@FreeBSD.org