Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:38:36 +0200
From:      Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
To:        Tim Hogard <thogard@abnormal.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow on v210?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 02:26:15PM +0000, Tim Hogard wrote:

> I'm at the inital stages of looking into the problems here.
>
> I just put Release 9.0 on a single CPU v210 and it is much slower
> than I expected. A simple perl program runs at 1/6th the speed of
> the Solaris 9 machine I'm testing aginst.  Other things involing
> basic utils also seem to run about that ratio.  Compiles are also
> very slow.
>
> For testing I've got a Sol 9 dual 1.33 Ghz netra 210 with
> 4 gig of ram and a single 1.33 ghz v210 with 2 gig of ram.
> My tests show both system have about 1 gig free and I run
> 4 processes per core:
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> foreach $i (1..1000000) {
>         $i{$i}=$i;
> }
>
> The FreeBSD 9.0 and perl 5.12 (from ports) with no load is running
> much slower than the Sol 9 with perl 5.10 a few other things running.
>
> sol$ time ./p
>
> real    0m4.110s
> user    0m3.430s
> sys     0m0.610s
>
> f9$ time ./p
>        27.24 real         6.10 user        21.00 sys
>
> 2 on f9 take 55 or so seconds, 4 on the dual cpu take about 8 seconds.
>
> Other things also seem slower but I haven't benchmarked them but they should in the are ballpark.
> The disks on the n210 are 2.5 and 3.5 on the v210. Both are 7200 rpm but everything is in cache.
> The ram seems identical.
>
> The freeBSD machine should not be 7 times slower.

Could you please do some profiling in order to determine where (i.e.
which syscall etc) the time is spent?

> Other issues:
> 1) The machine needed the vm.kmem_size="1024" in /etc/loader.conf or it wouldn't boot.
> fixed by stopping boot and typing something like set vm.kmem_size="1024m" at
> the laoder prompt.

Apparently, this is a bug in the machine independent parts of the VM
triggered by extra sparse physical memory layouts as seen with USIIIi-
based machines with 2 GB of RAM. You can work around this without
sacrificing physical memory by setting the vm.kmem_size_scale loader
tunable to 2. Until the underlying problem is fixed, stable/9 defaults
to the same scaling.

> 2) base.txz just wouldn't end up with the right sha-256 hash even when checked
> on other machines.  Fixed by using net install.

ATA_CAM broke ATAPI DMA for some chipsets causing data corruption.
You can work around it by manually reverting to PIO mode. For a
v210, setting the loader tunable hint.ata.2.mode to PIO4 should do
this. Until the underlying problem is fixed, stable/9 defaults to
not using ATAPI DMA along with ATA_CAM for the chipsets identified
so far.

Marius