Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 2003 22:18:13 -0500
From:      Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   I want to install a game...Unreal Tournament GOTY

This is a long query; I apologize for the verbosity. I've tried to do
the relevant research.

My first attempt to install results in this error:

+++++ERROR+++++

sh ut-install-436-GOTY.run
Verifying archive integrity...OK
Uncompressing Unreal Tournament version 436-GOTY Linux
install............................
chown: separation of user and group with a period is deprecated
ELF binary type "0" not known.
Abort trap
ELF binary type "3" not known.
Abort trap
The setup program seems to have failed on x86/glibc-2.1

Please contact Loki Technical Support at support@lokigames.com
The program returned an error code (1)

++++++END RROR+++++

Assume with me that the relevant clue is this line:

The setup program seems to have failed on x86/glibc-2.1

I've looked around and believe that glibc is a Gnu C Library...as
distinct from the BSD C Library. Further, it seems obvious that I will
need to install something Linux-related to get this game running.

I've looked around through the ports tree, and have found the
following:

make search name=glib turns up a bunch of stuff....the most
interesting thing, it seems, is this....

Port:   linux-glib2-2.2.1
Info:   Version 2.X Linux/i386 binary port of GLib
<snip>
R-deps: linux_base-7.1_5

The Makefile doesn't seem to pull in the R-deps: linux_base-7.1_5, but
I could be misreading the Makefile.

Looking at it a different way, I see that there is an option to
install one of these:

/usr/ports/emulators/linux_base*

6 is marked forbidden, so that is right out...leaving either 8 or
7.1_5. However, neither has a mention of glibc-2.1.x, only 2.2.x

I guess my question is: do I need to do linux_base-7.1_5, and
linux-glib2-2.2.1, or can I get by with only one or the other?

That, or am I asking the wrong question?

That said, I'd like to try to get Unreal Tournament running on
Anna. Anna does have a custom kernel without Linux bits in it, so I
assume that this module will load as needed:

linux.ko

Or should I use this:

linux_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

I see in the archives from November that Karel J. Bosschaart used:

linux-flashplugin-5.0r51 The official Macromedia Flash Player for Linux
linux-gtk-1.2_2     RPM of the Gtk lib
linux-png-1.0.14_2  RPM of the PNG lib
linux-realplayer-8.cs2_2 Linux RealPlayer 8.0 from RealNetworks
linux_base-7.1_2    The base set of packages needed in Linux mode

All of these seem a bit much; most likely only the latter one is
necessary. I'd like to get away with only installing what I absolutely
need, which I hope is just the /usr/ports/devel/linux-glib2 port.

Info and such:

uname -a:

FreeBSD anna.chthonixia.net 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #0: Mon Dec
8 00:27:15 EST 2003 root@anna.chthonixia.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ANNA
i386

glxinfo:
name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI G400 20020221 AGP 1x x86/MMX

Thanks for any pointers....

Joe