Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 11:39:21 +0300
From:      Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
To:        "'jim@blues.ghis.net'" <jim@blues.ghis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

> > > You're right, I'll switch my servers over to Linux right away.
> > >
> > > P.s. There's Linux wallpaper?
> >
> > Now, THAT is malicious!! The Linux penguin is all over, in all
> > sizes, and the *BSD community isn't able to spread their own daemon!
> > This IS a shame!
>
> Look, if you're not happy with what's available, make some yourself
> instead of bitching and expecting other people to do it.  You were
> shown where to find images, but they're still not good enough..
> bitching and moaning about it isn't solving anything or making other
> images that don't exist magically appear.  It's only going to end up
> getting on everyone's nerves (especially people who *do* contribute),
> and get you a bunch hostile responses.

With *that* kind of approaching people and issues, you should NOT be
surprised by the fact that FreeBSD has an unappropriatedly low audience,
despite its better stability and performance, compared with Linux!

OK, Linux is used also by ... unconscious people, just because they can hack
in it and play Doom [I never played Doom!]. Some are also attracted by the
hype [that's why I feel RedHat is beginning to look like Micro$oft]. Good
things are for people able to recognbize and appreciate this, so it isn't a
minus the fact that FreeBSD is a kinda "private old English club :-)", not
that open to all unnecessary changes and not wanting to satisfy all tastes.
That's why I tend to recommend FreeBSD as THE "rock solid" OS to any person,
despite the fact that I have a much greater knowledge of Linux [that stands
for myself :-(].

Now, when I see that FreeBSD community is made by such _proud_ people as you
are [and remember: I was trying to became a FreeBSD advocate, even if I'm
coming from Linux! so we weren't in any "religious" war!], I may change my
mind. Maybe FreeBSD is not the best choice. Maybe other Unix-like Oses
[primarily, Linux, I don't know which distribution, but let's say Linux for
now] should take from FreeBSD all the good stuff andf that's all! I hate
GPL, but due to the fact that it also exist a LGPL for the libraries,
writing code from scratch and *dynamically* linking them with gnu libs make
easy to keep private your sources, hence developping commercial apps for
Linux. Why losing so much time for persuading people to switch to FreeBSD if
the FreeBSD community doesn't want this? Let them enjoy this marvelous OS
just for themelves, in the club...

Regards,
Radu-Cristian