Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:12:00 +0000
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   CF card and /dev filesystem entries

Running FreeBSD 6.0 here.

I have a USB-attached floppy/CF/SD combo reader. On powerup it is detected
and I get /dev/da0 as the CF slot:

da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <OEI-USB CompactFlash 2.0> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
da1: <OEI-USB SM/MS/SD 2.0> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present

However, when I insert a CF card with normal partioning I need /dev/da0s1,
and this is not present in the /dev filesystem because the partition table
has not been read.

# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt/cf
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: No such file or directory

Just reading the first block is not sufficient:

# dd if=/dev/da0 of=/dev/null count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.040984 secs (12493 bytes/sec)
# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt/cf
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da0s1: No such file or directory

The only way I can see to *force* the superblock to be read is to attempt to
mount the whole device as if it were unpartitioned. This is sufficient to
cause the /dev/da0s1 entry to appear in the /dev filesystem.

# mount /dev/da0 /mnt/cf
mount: /dev/da0 on /mnt/cf: incorrect super block
# mount -t msdos /dev/da0s1 /mnt/cf
#

At this point, everything works as expected.

My question is: is there an easier or more direct way to cause the partition
table of the CF card to be read and the /dev filesystem to update?

Thanks,

Brian Candler.