Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:37:08 -0400
From:      "Mark Haney" <haney01@email.franklin.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux JDK 1.3 necessary to compile JDK 1.3.1 source from Sun?

I'm learning Java, and would like to set up a Java
development environment on FreeBSD. In the article "Java
and Jakarta Tomcat on FreeBSD"
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/java-tomcat/index.html
as well as one other article I came across, the instructions
say to first install the Linux JDK. Then, build the JDK 1.3.1
source from SUN after downloading the patchset from
http://www.eyesbeyond.com/freebsddom/java/jdk13.html

Why is it necessary to install the Linux JDK before building the JDK from source
and the patchset?

Can I just use the Linux JDK?

Can I build from source and the patchset without first installing the Linux
version?

Thanks for any help,
Mark