Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 17:34:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install

> ok.  I install foo-1.2 via the ports system with make install.  it has
> lots of files in /usr/local/mumble/foo-1.2.  At a later point in time
> foo 1.3 comes out.  I do a cvs update in /usr/ports/mumble/foo and a
> make install.  It installs the new version just fine, but doesn't
> remove the old version first.  I still have /usr/local/mumble/foo-1.2
> files around (as well as /var/db/pkg/foo-1.2 and now a
> /var/db/pkg/foo-1.3).

Yep.  Debian "solves" this by having the upgrade system automatically
deinstall all previous versions before installing the new, but this
apparently pisses a lot of folks off when an auto-deinstallation is
overly destructive or doesn't quite do what was expected (imagine a
deinstall of a port that has other ports depending on it, or depends
on other ports which now need to potentially be upgraded).

It's a nasty can of worms. :)

Probably the only truly non-hostile way of handling it would be to
give each subsequent version of a port an "upgrade" hook which would
do very specific and specialized things to upgrade it, removing only
those components which were known to be dreck in the new port and
selectively upgrading other components as necessary (each component
also having its own semi-intelligent update procedure).  In other words,
try to encapsulate the kind of work that an expert user would do by
hand in upgrading the port.  But that's also a lot of work. :-(

					Jordan