Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:44:05 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else having trouble with Ethereal freezing up?

Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com> wrote:

> On Jun 14, 2004, at 3:23 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
> > Ethereal starts, but when I try to start a capture, it just freezes.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this trouble?  Anyone got any suggestions?
>
> Hmm, try using tcpdump?  Also, I've seen packet sniffers freeze like
> this if they try to perform DNS lookups and are waiting for answers
> (due to DNS being slow, unavailable, etc)....

Thanks, Chuck.

I have been using tcpdump until I can figure this out, but I have to admit
that Ethereal just makes it easier to analyze the capture.

On the flip side, it turns out that Ethereal _is_ working, it's just
unreasonably slow.  Which starts a new question.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies