Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 1998 21:39:52 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.0

Doug White wrote:

> gcc requries massive hacking to work.  Check in on the -hackers mail
> archives for current progess; we're still working on it.

	This is a question I've been meaning to ask. I always took not being
able to upgrade gcc in stride because it's not been a priority for me.
However I was looking over some security stuff and one of the first
recommendations for securing a high priority machine is to remove the
compiler. I know that gcc is tightly integrated into FreeBSD, but I'm
wondering now if that's such a good idea.

	Which leads me to my question. Are there any plans to dis-integrate gcc
from the base? It seems like the gcc folks are being more agressive
about more frequent upgrades, so it would be nice to be able to play
around with them. More importantly it would be nice to be able to trim
gcc out with one fell swoop when needed. Obviously this would be a
-current thing, but I'm wondering if its on the drawing board.

Thanks,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest