Date:      Thu, 08 Oct 98 08:46:58 PDT
From:      David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SRM/ARC/AlphaBIOS/MILO

> > > Why we don't want to use the ARC console, hmm?
> >
> > Yes- I agree- except that it's possible that SRM will disappear
> > for newer board level alpha products.

Perhaps a lobbying effort is in order?  We need to convince Compaq
to provide SRM.  I don't know what the sales of small machines
running DU, VMS, *BSD and Linux would be, but adding in availability of
low cost machines for "tire kicking" before commiting to a large
purchase, and the goodwill generated should make it worth their while.

I for one don't plan on buying any Alphas that don't have SRM.

> Ick.  Are there any AlphaBIOS source licencees anywhere?

I haven't been able to get SRM sources even though I'm
working on the kernel-console interface for Bravo.

(Or does ARC/Alphabios come from Micros**t?)

>  I'm
> specifically thinking about whether it'd be feasible to commission some
> work on it to a) produce a documented interface subset for all us
> suckers to use, and/or b) make it more server-friendly.

The Alpha AXP Architecture Reference Manual has some info.
Not sure how much ARC/AlphaBIOS info is in there, I skip over
anything that is specific to NT or VMS.

ISBN     1-55558-202-8  (3rd edition)
         1-55558-145-5  (2nd edition)

The MILO approach is more appealing than using ARC/AlphaBIOS,
assuming its problems can be fixed.  (e.g. add a reset command)

Another thing to keep in mind is that ARC/AlphaBIOS only machines
will have the NT version of PALcode.  Linux has their own PALcode,
based on the DU version.

-Dave