Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 00:06:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@txdirect.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

[Other stuff snipped]

> > > THINK for a minute about large applications.  An Intel Pentium 90/100 CPU
> > > chip as 3.3 billon transistors on it.  Each cmos transitor takes at least
> >           ^^^^^^^^^^
> > > 6 rectangles to represent the minimal transitor data and 3 contacts to hook
> > > it up, now thats 19.8G assumming I can stuff a rectange into a byte :-).
> > >
> > > We haven't even started to talk about interconnecting these 3.3 billon
> >                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^
> > > transistors...
> > >
> > > Can you say that a gigabyte in this world is actually a very small amount
> > > of data!
> > > --
> > > Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> > > Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD
> >
> > Isn't that [M]illion?
>
> Get a grip, it takes a million transistors just to implement the 16k of
> cache:
> 16384 bytes * 8bits/byte * 6 transistors a bit == 786432, add the decoders
> and other gunk and your over a million right there....
>
> And from the 1994 i486DX2 data sheet ``Over one million transistors implement
> this RISC integer core'' talking about just the integer ALU and registers
> here.... and that was the 486 core ALU, the P54 ALU is an order or two in
> magnitude more complex due to being super scaler and longer pipe.
>
> --
> Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD

Your right, I got a needed to get a grip :)  Got a grip on my mouse and
pushed the Netscape button on my button bar.  Gripped my keyboard and
typed http://www.intel.com.

Hmmm, whats this:

######### FROM WWW.INTEL.COM ##########

The first member of the P6 processor family...

      Arrives in desktops and servers in 1995.

      Integrates about 5.5 million transistors on the chip, compared to
      approximately 3.1 million transistors on the Pentium processor.

Yep, I just needed a to get a grip.  ;-)

---
Rob Snow
rsnow@txdirect.net