Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 10:25:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PRE_SMPNG snap

Brandon D. Valentine wrote:
> I would like to request that someone with access to
> ftp://current.freebsd.org build a snapshot release based entirely on the
> PRE_SMPNG CVS branch so those of us wishing to install current will have
> a better starting point.  The snaps currently being built come directly
> from HEAD and hence are ridden with the instability inherent in current
> at the moment.  It would be nice if there was one snap built directly
> from the branch point and put in
> ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/PRE_SMPNG or
> something to that effect.

Err, AFAIK, the only instability atm is that under heavy load some ahc
controllers seem to hang (or possibly the ahc driver is getting out of
sorts and hanging.)  However, the problem is not so bad that you can't
build world in at most 2 boots, and it also seems to only manifest
itself on SMP machines AFAIK.  The only other bugs at this point are
in cosmetic statistics, and in catching the alpha arch up to the x86
arch.  If you have other stability problems we'd appreciate some bug
reports. :-P

--

John Baldwin <jhb@bsdi.com> -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/