Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:13:40 +1100
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>, "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: ntpd as time server?

At 15:44 14/01/2002, Joe & Fhe Barbish sent this up the stick:
>I thought I would see 3 or 5 packets pass through udp to
>port 123 as the remote time servers are accessed to build
>the data ntp needs to average the clock time.
>
>What I see are a continuous exchange of packets to those
>remote time services. Like 250 in a half hour and still going.
>I look at the drift file and it's blank.

First up, did you touch /etc/ntp.drift?  I found that ntpd wouldn't create
the file, but will happily append to it once it is created.

>I get on a winbox and change the socketwatch to point to the
>IP address of the FBSD Nic card that winbox goes through and
>the win socketwatch program returns a message can not find host.

Try letting it go for about an hour, ntpd will not let any other ntpd's
sync with it until it has established the drift file and is sure that is as
accurate as it can be.  If there is a lot of variation in the responses
from the master time server, it could take a little while longer to work
out the drift.

<snip>

Cheers,
Rob

We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fishbowl, year after year

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 1105 of a collection of 1200