Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:56:50 GMT
From:      Bryan Scattergood <bryan@fsel.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        roberto@eurocontrol.fr, bryan@fsel.com
Subject:   Re: VAIO 505F vs Toshiba 3015CT

> I'm planning to buy either a Sony VAIO 505F or a Toshiba 3010/3015CT (or a
> subnotebook with equivalent performances/size/weight, if you have
> suggestions please do).

We went looking for something similar just before Christmas. It was a
rush job because someone suddenly decided to try and work during the
holidays.  We came down to the same two models (we also looked briefly
at the corresponding Sharp subnote.) We ended up with the VAIO
505-FX/LT, mostly because we could get a slightly better price on
that. (The LT and KT are the same unit, but the latter ships with the
external CD and a modem.)

> My questions are pretty basic:
>
> - do I need PAO or is CURRENT enough ?

We installed from CD and tried both 2.2.7PAO and 3.0. We had better
luck getting a PCMCIA network card working under the former, so we
went with that. (3.0 could see a 3com589 using the zp driver for
install, but that stopped when we tried enabling PCCARD support in the
3.0 kernel. We gave up and used 2.2.7.)

> - does the hibernation feature work (saving mem on disk) ?

The user reports no problems with either that or suspend to RAM.  Some
screen corruption, but I probably just need to tweak a PAO option for
that.

> - what are the pros/cons of each brand ?

One difference is that the 301x uses an Accupoint while the VAIO has a
trackpad. If you have strong feelings about those, that may decide the
issue. Neither has a PS/2 port without plugging in the expansion bar.

The VAIO's NeoMagic chipset caused some trouble with X; we were in a
hurry and used AcceleratedX rather than hunting around for XFree86
patches. I'm planning to have another run at that now the 2.2.8 CDs
have arrived.

> - what are differences between the 3010 and 3015CT

The local stores claim that the 3015 is US while the 3010 is a UK
model (the 3015 I saw had a US keyboard, and had a built in modem
which the 3010 lacked.)

> - can I install without a CD-ROM (by FTP/NFS)

We managed this just fine, once we'd used Partition Magic to shrink
the FAT32 partition.

> - what about Cardbus / PCMCIA support in FreeBSD ?

AFAIK Cardbus support still isn't present, but the 82365 emulation
works for 16bit cards.

	Bryan