Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 10:26:15 +0200
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyclades :(

On Wed, Oct 29, 1997 at 06:12:59PM -0800, David Greenman wrote:

> >... Maybye you should let Cyclades do the drivers. They might work then.
>
>    Jamil, this comment is without merit and does absolutely nothing to help
> with the problem. Cyclades is quite familiar with the driver in FreeBSD and
> has done extensive testing with both the ISA and PCI product under FreeBSD.
> They haven't seen any problems in their testing, but of course that doesn't
> mean that a problem doesn't exist. The device driver for the PCI version is
> the same driver that the ISA card uses, the only difference is that the PCI
> front-end memory-maps the registers into the address space at device attach
> time. There might be a hardware problem with the PCI interface that is causing
> the reboots, but at the moment, there is insufficient information to diagnose
> the problem further. I have not been able to reproduce the reboots here. I
> suspect that it is going to take a PCI bus analyzer to figure this one out.

Well, I forgot to say: reboots doesn't happen when you just plag in
Cyclades. All four boxes -- quite busy access servers, from 10 to
15 dialup modems.

As for comment about using Cyclades for connecting serial terminals
-- I mentioned that reboots happen with "getty" and don't with
"mgetty", so callout devices are ok.

What ditails can I provide? That's not panics, I don't have crashdumps.
May be exact hardware configurations? If so -- I'll test it once again
and write exactly all hardware details.

--
Litvin Alexander