Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 13:11:50 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: major/minor numbers

>For USB support I need at least 1 but possible 3 or more major numbers.
>
>	usb0
>
>and possibly
>
>	ums0
>	ulpt0
>	ucuaa0	(maybe)

We shall be needing major numbers for the ISA AT keyboard and the USB
keyboard too.  With USB, we can have multiple keyboards together with
the standard ISA AT keyboard.  The user will use either one keyboard
for his/her console and may use the other keyboards as auxiliary input
device.  We need device nodes for them.

It won't be long before this will happen; I am currently working on
splitting and generalizing keyboard I/O code from syscons and
implementing mechanisms for syscons to use whatever keyboard available
in the system, and the other keyboard will be made readable via a cdev
device driver.

Nick and Soeren, I will be sending you a snapshot of the experimental
code to you tonight.  It's almost finished :-)

>Brian Feldman came up with the idea to use major numbers together with
>other drivers, for example have ums use the numbers that also psm uses
>(their both PS/2 mice). Anyone tried this? Sounds a bit odd if you do
>not want to divide minor number space amongst them statically.

I may be wrong, but, my understanding is...

When the kernel accesses device driver functions, it will invoke them
as:

	(*cdevsw[major(dev)]->d_open)(dev);

This means if we are to share a major number between different
drivers, we need to have a way to multiplex access to the drivers via
a single major number.  Do we have such mechanisms in our kernel now?

Kazu