Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 05:45:33 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Editors in base FBSD

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 01:58:20AM +0100, Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 07:45:02PM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> >
> > But I really need a native FBSD edit solution for disaster recovery
> > where the mswindows LAN is down or not present at that site.

Oh, so you are talking about exceptional situations...(or perhaps
not ?).
Just learn "vi/ex". Vi is powerful and ugly, but it is always there.
If you have the responsibility of understanding how to manage
complex networks, then I am sure you are bright enough to master
at least the basic functionality of vi. The commands you actually
need for basic use can be written on a single sheet of paper.

So learn:
- How to open, read and write files.
- Learn how to write then exit ("ZZ" command for your info)
- How to insert text, delete text, undelete text
- learn how to search for text
- learn how to substitute text

If you find regular expressions too difficult to work with then
don't bother with them (this only limits your use of about a million
other Unix tools, but never mind about that).

Remember that if things look like they are all going wrong just hit
<esc> a few times and check you have not got caps-lock on.

And stop trolling.
You are hovering on the edge of my troll-reject list here .. :)

You have had answers, choose the one you find least-offensive, or
write your own editor.

Hee hee, I have to laugh when people make some kind of comparisons
with MVS on any subject, having had to work once for a mercifully
brief time under TSO...still, I must rememember my New Year's resolution
about not providing comestibles to trolls.

--
Regards
Cliff