Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:42:34 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Major bumping of libFOO

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 12:32:33AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20010214232503.A65907@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
> : On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 03:45:57PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> : > Here's a patch that I think will fix the major breakage with major
> : > library versions.
> :
> : I haven't tried to build -current for a few days now.  Can you summerize
> : what breakage you are seeing?
>
> The problem is that new libFOO.so.N have references to
> __std{in,out,err}, instantly breaking all old binaries on the system.
>
> Eg, libcam.so.2 used to have __sF, which as defined in libc.so.[345].
> However, after the bump to lib.so.5.XXXXXXX and rebuild the world,
> libcam.so.2 now references __std*.  For apps that were linked before
> against libc.so.[345], this causes undefined symbols at runtime.

I'm not happy about bumping every shared lib.  Can you answer:

(1) does a ``make world'' will not work?  Peter showed that we had no
choice with libc due to the use of the host's existing install programs.

(2) even if #1 works, will a 6mo. old binary (using one of these libs)
run w/o the change?  Will a binary from 4.2-R run?

If this is just to keep one from having to reintall /usr/local/, I'm not
sure that is suffient reason for the bumpage.

Note that if you are going to bump shlib versions, you should follow the
libc.so versioning scheme.