Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 01:06:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd@XtremeDev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE as dialup server w/ pppd 2.3.5

> I am trying to setup my FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE server to accept dialups from
> my Windows laptop. For a few months now I have had no success (wasn't in
> that much of a rush), but recently I've had a great need for that
> arrangement so I've been trying again.
>
> Currently I'm using mgetty + AUTOPPP to start pppd on dialup, which
> appears to be working (mgetty calls pppd successfully). However I have not
> been able to get pppd to complete the PAP auth. My modem on the FreeBSD
> box is an internal USR Courier with latest Flash bios on com port 1,
> cuaa0. My server address is 192.168.1.1, and I'm trying to give the
> Windows laptop an address of 192.168.1.11.

Been doing this for quite a while from 3.4 through 4.1 with a bank of 8
modems...  My preference is to use userland PPP, not pppd - I like the
amount of control that ppp(8) gives you through pppctl(8).

In /usr/local/etc/mget*/login.config, change:

/AutoPPP/ -    a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth +chap +pap login debug

/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/ppp -direct incoming

...set up /etc/ppp/ppp.conf to have an "incoming" declaration (I
believe this is described in the man page for ppp.) :

incoming:
        set server +3000 MyMaintPasswd
        set speed 115200
        set timeout 600