Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 22:04:50 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, hasty@star-gate.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why IDE is bad

>>`cp -pR /usr/src/sys /usr/src/sys~' takes 85 seconds to copy
>>2 * 12475K (293K/sec).  Any IDE drive can compete with this transfer
>>rate.

>Now why during  a normal transfer is scsi so slow?
>Is it because of the updates to the inodes?

I think it's partly for synchronous updates and partly for small i/o's.
The bt445c-xp34301 runs at about half its maximum speed for 8K blocks,
1/4 of its maximum speed for 4K blocks, down to 1/20 of its maximum
speed (about 293K/sec :-) for 512-byte blocks.  This is for sequential
input.  Reading the same 512-byte block over and over is no faster.  The
AdaptecVLB with a P2100 (?) is reported to be about the same speed.
The U34F is almost twice as slow.

IDE is faster for small i/o's.

Bruce