Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 08:58:43 -0800
From:      James Satterfield <james@uberduper.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fw: Re: current and vmware2

Looks like this email didn't make it to the mailing list. I've not tried the solution yet, but I figured everyone would like to see this.

James.

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 18:14:32 +0900
From: Yoshinori KASAZAKI <mia@gold.ocn.ne.jp>
To: James Satterfield <james@uberduper.com>
Subject: Re: current and vmware2

hi.

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:57:12 -0800
James Satterfield <james@uberduper.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to run vmware2 on a recent -current. I'm getting these when trying to load the vmmon_up module.
> kldload: can't load /usr/local/lib/vmware/lib/modules/vmmon_up.ko: No such file or directory
> Also making an appearance in dmesg is link_elf: symbol cdevsw_add undefined.
> Current from today. Using linux_base-7.1_2.
> Linux module is loaded.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> James.

	I've also bitten by this.
	I found that the cause is 'cdevsw_add' call,
	which seems like required to register device before.

	so I did:
	% cd /usr/ports/emulators/(rtc|vmware2)
	% make configure
	% grep -r 'cdevsw_add' work/*
	and replaced all 'error = cdevsw_add' by 'error = 0', then
	% make all install
	and VMware2 works fine for me again.

	but a warning message :
	    WARNING: driver "vmmon" used unreserved major device number 200
	is displayed when vmmon.ko is loaded.
	so this might not be a right solution, but it worked for me.

	hope this helps.

		Y.Kasazaki
//