Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:42:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <root@gits.dyndns.org>
To:        Akbar <Akbar@Aptitude.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

Akbar wrote:
[snip]
> wat is so special about BSD? wat is the major difference between BSD and
> Linux?? if its so robust then why is linux so hyped? i am a bit confused. i

BSD vs GNU/Linux
central development (non central development dor linux boxes)
ports system (aka rpm for linux boxes)
from my point of view, much more unix philosophy compliant
public domain (/usr/local) != userland (/)
where linux boxes merges both
and many more reasons...

> am seeking out a career in security area and i am seriously thinking of
> learning 1 unix based OS. and i am stuck. which one would be best to learn??

for security purpose, OpenBSD is well suitable.

> linux or BSD?? and how far the knowledge of each OS would allow me to shift
> to other OS? i mean, if i learn BSD would be easy for me to program in
> Linux? or vice versa??

you'll probably get better habits w/ BSD than w/ GNU/Linux.
much better is to follow standards and not to use all those
non-standard libraries whatever they are easy to use. so,
your programs would runs on many unix flavors.

> p.s. if i start to learn BSD which version or distribution is best suited?

for x86, FreeBSD 4.1 would be apropriate and have a bigger audience than
others BSD (OpenBSD and NetBSD).

> (i have programming experience of C, C++ and java and i have worked on Unix
> some 3 yrs back)

sounds good :)

much better is to follow this thread in freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
or freebsd-chat@freebsd.org. CC: positionned.