Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 00:41:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sri Ramkrishna <sri@aracnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't see LAN using Intel EtherExpress Pro/10

Thanks to those who responded earlier regarding my problems with the
kernel not able to install the ex0 driver for my ethernet card.

Now I have another problem.  (FreeBSD is making me work to get my set up
working I swear)  I've been working on this but still haven't gotten this
to work at all.

Here is my problem:
I'm trying to see the IP address 10.1.1.2 which is an Amiga connected by
twisted pair to thicknet to the Amiga.  Under windows 95, I'm able to ping
the Amiga and the Amiga can ping my PC.(a nice rosy picture of machines
pinging each other happily)  This establishes the fact that the ethernet
board is working and the line is clean between the two. (ie one end isn't
unplugged in or something)

Under FreeBSD, the packets does not even leave the computer.

My /etc/hosts file contains:

10.1.1.2	sri	sri.bharat.net
10.1.1.1	sima	sima.bharat.net

My /etc/sysconfig file has configured the network interfaces like so:

hostname is set to sima.bharat.net

network_interfaces="lo0 ex0"
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
ifconfig_ex0="10.1.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00"

routed,gated and similiar daemons have been turned off.

Now as far as I understand, the driver for Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 does
not support Multicasting.  The Win95 driver does, thats the only
difference I can think of.  Does the fact that multicasting doesn't exist
in the driver effect anything?

On the Amiga side, I'm using just a plain TCP/IP stack, I've ifconfig'd
the driver for 10.1.1.2 with the hostname set to sri.bharat.net.

I can't think of anything else at this moment that would help.  I think
packets are just not going across the wire.  What might be interesting is
if I set the Amiga side to promiscious mode and see if it grabs any
packets.

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2, on a PPro 150Hz..

Thanks for any help!  (BTW how do I subscribe to this list?)

	sri

Sri Ramkrishna         /|\ Unix is very user friendly, its just very picky
email: sri@aracnet.com -|- on who it is friendly to. -- Unknown?
phone: 503-645-4868    \|/