Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:11:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/mail/fetchmail Makefile

On 20 Mar, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
= > > Feel free to replace it with correct one. Please avoid introducing
= > > USE_AUTO{MAKE,CONF}, though. I  would propose leave it  as it, and
= > > submit aclocal.m4 patch to authors (esr?).
= >
= > BTW, with very little patching the  port can be built without gmake.
= > Basicly, all they use is the -C  <dir> option of gmake, which can be
= > replaced with cd <dir> && make. That's it.
= >
= >         -mi
= >
= > P.S> How about "libtool, auto considered harmful"?
=
= Please note that it is not a  gnufobia,

Correct. I'm not afraid  of gmake :) either. But if it  is not needed or
_easily_ avoided, it is better to avoid it. The other things are worse.

= I do  not see any  problems with  gmake/libtool. autoconf is  just not
= very bulletproof when there

It's worse than "not very bulletproof". It may cause unexpected breakage
in older systems, where the regular configure and make work just fine.

Many people resented the configure  scripts themselves. Autoconf is just
another layer  on top of  that and from my  experience it can  be pretty
terrible. It  is also rarely usefull  -- with the correct  arguments and
env-variables given to the configure script, that comes with most of the
software, the script can do its job without being regenerated.

= are  several macros  with  the same  name in  different  .m4 files  in
= ${LOCALBASE}/share/aclocal.

Libtool is just plain bad, IMO. It polutes the filesystem with the silly
.lo and .la "pseudo files". It  makes it very difficult (if possible) to
test the freshly  built binaries prior to installing, etc.  And it makes
the build slower.  I'm not saying let's  BAN it, but I  AM advocating we
try to avoid if possible...

	-mi