Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:28:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, dg@root.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp driver info

On Wednesday, 24 January 2001 at 17:08:16 -0500, Dennis wrote:

>>>    I'll look into the Linux driver, however, and see if it has anything
>>> useful in it. Historically the Linux Pro/100+ driver has totally sucked and
>>> was chalk-full of magic numbers being anded and ored.
>>
>> That's "chock full", and you're confusing the Becker driver (bad) with
>> the Intel-supplied driver (slightly less bad).
>
> The intel driver seems to cover all the bases and has some nice glue
> routines for determining the part and features available.

We recently did some testing of these drivers at my company.  We found
both drivers to be very bad, and the consensus was that the Intel
driver was worse.  We were not able to keep a link up under load for
more than a few hours.

> I havent tested it under load, but I wonder if intel would consider
> supporting it if someone ported it over to freebsd? they have drivers for
> just about every other major OS except BSD. it would be nice if the driver
> was updated BEFORE cards and MBs that dont work started showing up on the
> we try one out.

I've come in in the middle of this discussion, so maybe there's
something I don't know, but on the same hardware and running FreeBSD,
I had no problems.  Why should we want to replace the driver with
something which doesn't work well?

Greg