Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:59:53 +0000
From:      Emre <emre@iris.vsrc.uab.edu>
To:        George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 12:50:24PM +0000, George Cox wrote:
> Right.  Get yourself cvsup-bin-16.0 from a FreeBSD ftp site (it's in the
> cvsup directory).  Install that and read the manpages, just to get a
> flavour of how it works.
>
> Next, look at the files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup -- particularly
> stable-supfile and current-supfile.  Copy one of those to a useful place
> -- I use /usr/local/etc/cvsup (and I keep the bookkeeping files there --
> the examples use /usr/sup)
>
> After that, running
>
>   cvsup -L2 /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup-all (or whatever you've called it)
>
> will update your system. -L2 means maximum verbosity.
>
> Then you can go to /usr/src and type make world.  Once it's finished run
> /usr/sbin/mergemaster to update your /etc/* files

Ah, okay...I've used cvsup alot.  I like it much better than the regular cvs.

Okay FreeBSD pissed me really of the other day.  Here is what happened:
- Created fresh boot disks (mflroot.flp and kern.flp) and booted the system using
  those two floppies.  I got them from the 19991221-CURRENT dir.

- After it booted up and went into the install program, I created my partitions
  and filesystems (it has a 6.4GB Seagate IDE drive, brand new): 5850M FS and
  300M swap.

- Then I moved to the next screen.  It asked me what packages to install.
  I just selected "All".

- Then it went over to the install media screen.  I chose "FTP" and then chose
  "4.0 SNAP server"

- Oh yeah, my network configuration was right and all.

- So it did "Looking up host current.freebsd.org" and after a couple of minutes
  it connected and said "LAST CHANCE Are you sure you want to proceed, bla bla bla.."

- I pressed enter, and a message popped up saying "cannot create filesystem on /dev/blabla"
  "could not create filesystem. aborting"  Something similar to that.

So I couldn't install it after all :(
I have a 3.2 purchased package of FreeBSD, but I want to run -current. I have
no idea what to do...I even reformated the drive in DOS and did all that stuff
again.  This made me mad... Does anyone know what the problem could be?

(PS: George, thanks for your help :)

--
Emre Yildirim
Fingerprint = B16C EBA7 97FE EF2C 365F C4C4 54AA 3676 5E9E E10A