Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 09:56:56 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        <js43064n@pace.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Kernel Panic

I didn't say "disk error" I said "disk system" and I made a
particular point in the first message of saying that such an
error is most likely due to a combination of problems with the
motherboard and disk.  And YES, a disk subsystem error CAN crash
the system in fact not only crash it but completely garbage
the filesystem in the process.

I think your own imagination has run away with you. ;-)