Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:28:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beginning SPARC port

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
> I would also be a little curious about the availability of sparc hardware
> for hobbyist folk.  Few of us can afford $10K servers, but what other kind
> of more modest setups might be available?  I know you probably aren't a
> walking database of such things, but if you come up with occaisonal
> pointers to folks selling motherboards that might fit into pc cases, and
> maybe  use PCI, and the location of sparc docs on the web, it'd be nice to
> post such things.  I'd read them, and probably lots of others would too.
> It's likely (working where you do) that you'd be more likely to fall into
> that kind of info than I would.

The machine I have available for development is probably the immediate
precursor to the machine that will make UltraSPARCs available to to the
general public.  This machine is a bit expensive, but the next version
will be substantially cheaper.  As of 2 weeks ago this machine cost
$2887.50 for the MB+CPU (UltraAX, 167MHz Ultra), $90/8MB SIMM (add in sets
of 4), and $105 for the case.  It has a built-in IDE controller and
ethernet port.  The forthcoming board will have SCSI instead of IDE on the
board.  Both boards have a PCI bus.  At some point in the future, once
FreeBSD runs on these, and I have some money, I plan to use one at home.
(The money part could take a while. =) )

I bought (for Sun) machines from Bell Micro (http://www.bellmicro.com).
Their web site is a bit sparse, but they do sell the parts.

As for supporting older hardware, I'll do my best to make it possible, but
I can only test on so many machines before it becomes impractical.
Pre-Ultra machines are becoming more and more scarce at work.  I'll have
to try to hold onto my SPARC-10...

Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]