Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 23:13:54 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf abuse

Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> In the ongoing porting of FreeBSD to other architectures, PPC, MIPS,
> ARM, and SPARC come to mind, we also need something which enables
> developers without access to either of these platforms to at least try
> and see if they can build this.
>
> Dare I even touch the subject of cross-compilation in association with
> /usr/src and it's proposed new configuration files and knobs?

You can touch whatever subject you want. I'm going to try to
separate the make.conf information, and then I'll submit the patches
for review. People will think they are so horrible that there will
be calls for immediate removal of my commit rights, less I continue
to shame that august body with my presence, or inflict any damage in
our cvs tree. BUT, while they get flamed, people might just spend 2%
of their messages explaining how they should have been done instead,
and a viable patch result from that.

THEN you can add whatever knob you can get through bde. :-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"