Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 23:08:19 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KLDs

> >  Could things be done in such a way that like QNX, it can
> > kill and restart a misbehaving driver?  What other cool things can be
> > done?
>
> QNX doesn't do that.

> Actually, in many cases it does.  There are numerous advantages in a
> well-designed/optimized micro-kernel that FreeBSD will never have.

Well, the implication was that QNX implements this as a kernel
policy and that it's done automatically.  A handful of drivers
can be stopped and restarted, notably the network devices.

The QNX filesystem resource managers and disk device drivers are
notoriously finicky and aren't restartable in the general sense.

Still, I like QNX a lot and have a major telecomm app widely
deployed on it, going on five years in the field now.

> However, as has been shown by the plethora of poor micro-kernel
> implementations (QNX not withstanding), it's hard to implement a
> well-designed/optimized micro-kernel, especially one that is not
> architecture dependent.

Amen!  :-)

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks