Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2007 23:12:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@samplonius.org>
To:        Juergen Nickelsen <ni@jnickelsen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems installing JDK 1.5

----- "Juergen Nickelsen" <ni@jnickelsen.de> wrote:
> But indeed I was ignorant of the diablo port. What is the relation
> between these two ports anyway? I do not really get the difference,
> in spite of <http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml>.

  There are some license restrictions on distribution of jdk binaries.  In order to be distributable, jdk binaries need to pass Sun's test suite (TCK).  So the Diablo binary passes, and is distributation.  The port, is just source, and does not require testing.  A binary built from the port may or may not pass, depending on the current state of development.  There can be regressions as things change in the OS, and linked in packages.  The jdk has a fair number of dependencies, so it is pretty easy to blow-up a jdk build.

  Some of the developers on the FreeBSD java list have the TCK, and can tell if you if the port would pass the TCK.

  And you should really be asking about this on the FreeBSD java list, as they are constantly making changes to the port, and dependencies.

Tom