Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 2003 08:15:17 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make search key= quite useless these days

On Thursday 03 April 2003 00:56, Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 02:38:36PM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 April 2003 05:05, Greg Panula wrote:
> > > Aye, missing pkg-message files could be the cause of your problems.
> >
> > The contents of (many of) the various info files are being folded
> > into the Makefiles.
> >
> > > --------------------->8------------------
> > > The important bits are:
> > > *default release=cvs tag=.
> > > and
> > > ports-base
> >
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Hmmm, I thought this was included in the "ports-all" that I have in my
> sup-file.
>
> Or is that old syntax?

It is.  If you got the changes to the Makefiles, etc., but not the changes
to support the new version of 'make search' you must have gotten a CVSup
snapshot right in the middle of the commit.  CVSup again and try the
search.  My ports are current as of sometime last night and make search
seems to work adequately:

~~~~~~~~~~

-bash-2.05b# cd /usr/ports/irc
-bash-2.05b# make search key=proxy
Port:   bnc-2.8.4
Info:   A simple IRC relay proxy with support for virtual hosting
Maint:  billf@FreeBSD.org
Index:  irc
B-deps:
R-deps:

Port:   dircproxy-1.0.5
Info:   A detachable irc proxy server with many features
Maint:  lester@mazpe.net
Index:  irc
B-deps:
R-deps:

Port:   ezbounce-1.02_1
Info:   A highly configurable IRC Proxy
Maint:  ports@FreeBSD.org
Index:  irc
B-deps:
R-deps:

Port:   tircproxy-0.4.5_3
Info:   IRC proxy server
Maint:  ports@FreeBSD.org
Index:  irc
B-deps:
R-deps:

-bash-2.05b# ls bnc
Makefile        distinfo        files           pkg-descr       pkg-plist
-bash-2.05b# ls ?ircproxy
dircproxy:
Makefile        distinfo        pkg-descr       pkg-message     pkg-plist

tircproxy:
Makefile        distinfo        files           pkg-descr       pkg-plist

No pkg-comment files at all, they're all in COMMENT= directives in the
Makefiles.

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes@softweyr.com