Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 2014 11:46:24 +0300
From:      "Reko Turja" <reko.turja@liukuma.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to remove X11 support and all ports options depend on X11

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Seaman
>On 07/04/2014 04:08, illoai@gmail.com wrote:
>> On 6 April 2014 22:14, Yushu Gao <shuokay@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am new to FreeBSD, I have used Gentoo before. I want to remove the X11
>>> support and all ports options depend on it, I know how to remove X11

>> You can try adding the old
>> WITHOUT_X11=yes
>> to /etc/make.conf, but you will probably be required

>> *for instance: WITH_QT4=yes
>> has caused problems in the past, since QT4 requires X11
>> The ports system is not perfect.  Sorry.
>
>Unfortunately, neither is your advice.  'WITHOUT_X11' is obsolete.  What
>you want nowadays is:
>
>    OPTIONS_UNSET+=    x11
>
> Note that this can be overridden by OPTIONS settings in individual

Sadly, not all the ports do honor the new option  yet and I learned the hard
way that old style:

WITHOUT_X11=yes
WITHOUT_GNOME=yes

are still required with some ports if you do not want X11/gnome at all.
Until the new option is universally honoured, setting the old style knobs is
far better alternative than having hundreds of excess ports installed into
machine for X or Gnome.

Of course proper course of action is to report those portsthat need old
knobs, but I was somewhat pressed at the time and had no time to write a PR
about it. All I remember the port was either ImageMagick-nox or
ghostscript-nox or one of their dependencies.

-Reko