Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 05:58:41 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   somebody has broken sysctlbyname() in -current

How to repeat symptoms:

    boot -c
    <make some changes, quit and come up normally>
    kget

Watch your system panic when kget does a:

      sysctlbyname("machdep.uc_devlist", buf, &len, NULL, NULL);

where len has been properly fetched in a previous syctlbyname()
call (1526 bytes, in my test case) and buf allocated appropriately.
System will panic with a supervisor read, page not present.

In fact, I've just proven the hard way that trying to read
machdep.uc_devlist in any way, including sysctl -a, does the same
thing.  Wurgh. :)

- Jordan