Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 2020 21:59:59 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jail question: packages with relative symlinks

<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
>=20
> On 2020-08-27 04:50, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> snip
>>>=20
>>> p.s. Lucas wrote some good books that cover jails:
>>>=20
>>> [1] https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#af3e
>>>=20
>>> [2] https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os#fmjail
>> The jail book is a waste of your money. Half of it is about a =
software tool that has nothing to do with native jails. The other half =
is a copy of stuff you can download from the internet. The biggest =
problem is none of the things he talks about in the book, did he test to =
see if they are true. I was fooled by the subject not by the content. =
It's not worth what you pay for it. It's a scam.
>=20
> When learning a non-trivial subject, RTFM and STFW can require a lot =
of effort -- especially the latter, as the WWW is full of incomplete, =
obsolete, and contradictory information.
>=20
>=20
> I am willing to pay a reasonable price for a printed book that =
contains current information, organizes it, and presents it in a =
rational order. Lucas writes such books, and I own eleven of them.
>=20
>=20
> I do not recall ever encountering an error when entering an example =
from a Lucas book.  (But, I have not entered every command from every =
book.)
>=20
>=20
> When I wanted jails for my SOHO server, I read Lucas and choose the =
jail(8) option.  My server is running 24x7 without issues.
>=20

When I said in my OP "I set up jails by the book" I meant FreeBSD =
Handbook, not any of printed books.

Thanks a lot, everyone who replied with your suggestions!

Valeri

>=20
> I believe I attempted ezjail for a second server, but ran into =
problems with the software not being unsupported on 12.1-RELEASE (?).