Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 1995 13:27:05 -0700
From:      aflundi@sandia.gov (Alan F Lundin)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd speed problems

On Dec 6,  1:07pm, Geoff Wells wrote:
> Subject: pppd speed problems
>
> [ ... ]
> I'm having a hard time with the pppd.  I can get it to connect and
> run with no problem but I can't seem to get more than about .5 k/sec
> over a 28.8 modem no matter what I do.  Also, the link seems to be
> chunky and unresponsive.  It gives me some good bursts for a second
> or so but then hangs for a couple of seconds.
> [ ... ]

Is your provider by chance using Xyplex terminal servers?
pppd works well for me except when I connect to Xyplex's.
iijppp, does work well on the Xyplex servers, but I'm not sure
exactly why it works and pppd doesn't.  Also, if I turn off
VJ-compression under pppd, the problem disappears.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

--alan