Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 2003 02:35:07 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

At 12:46 05/02/2003 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Tuesday,  4 February 2003 at 14:02:41 -0500, Larry Sica wrote:
> > I do not have the expertise to do any hard core programming, does that
> > mean i therefore should have no say?  What if i write a number of
> > articles, or am really helpful?  Or maintain hundreds of freebsd
> > systems?  Does my investment seem less just because I am not a
> > committer?
>
>This is a valid viewpoint.  I've been wondering for some time how we
>could do this.  You can contribute other things than code to the
>source tree, of course, such as documentation.  But I don't see a good
>way to include systems administrators (except in exactly that function
>within the project, and opportunities there are limited).  We've also
>had problems with advocacy: some advocates are somewhat extreme, and
>we're concerned they're doing the project more harm than good.  If you
>can come up with some good suggestions, we'd like to see them (at the
>risk of Yet Another Bike Shed).

   I think the voting must be restricted to committers, just because there
is otherwise no good way of generating a voting list.  That said, I don't
see why -core must be a subset of the people who vote in -core elections.
   How about establishing a rule that -core must include at least one
representative from each of {bin, ports, doc, advocacy}, and allowing
anyone to stand for election (provided they are nominated by a
committer)?  This would leave "control" pretty much where it is right now;
but it would at least provide a voice for advocacy.

Colin Percival