Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:36:52 -0500
From:      "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
To:        kris@pcbsd.org
Cc:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>, Kris Moore <kris@pcbsd.com>, John Hixson <jhixson@gmail.com>, ports@freebsd.org, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, "Dave Fourman\(Gmail\)" <dfourman@gmail.com>, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com>, Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>, Vanessa Kraus <vmkraus@gmail.com>, FreeBSD Current <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports and PBIs

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:18 AM,  <kris@pcbsd.org> wrote:

> [...]
> or even your entire desktop.
>
> PBI system simplifies this process. Updating firefox, since its
> self-contained, does NOT run the risk
>
> of borking anything else on the system. You don't need to work about libp=
ng,
> libjpeg, or some other seemingly
>
> trivial library (to the end user) causing a huge breakage for xorg, or
> KDE/Gnome, etc.
>
> This in my opinion is the fatal flaw of pretty much every open-source sys=
tem
> out there right now. Something both
>
> windows & mac have recognized and dealt with. We instead try to write mor=
> and more complex package resolvers,
>
> while failing to address the main issue, that with such a complex chain o=
> dependencies for something as simple
>
> as upgrading firefox, it increases the chances exponentially that somethi=
ng
> will break and ruin your day / weekend.
>

>>> PBIs only comprise a small set of packages in FreeBSD; if my
>>> understanding is correct based on a mirror referenced in pbidir.com,
>>> the number is currently under 500~750 PBIs -- this is drastically
>>> smaller than the number of binary packages produced by ports on a
>>> regular basis for FreeBSD.

>>> Packages are more of the answer IMO, not PBIs. PBIs are merely a
>>> different set of contents and different means of delivering those
>>> contents, and while I like the idea of point - click - install, I'm
>>> not ready to create unnecessary complexity by having libraries rev'ed
>>> according to what the maintainer A believes are correct, even though
>>> maintainer B set it differently, and I'm not interested in sacrificing
>>> disk space for this reason. If I wanted to use a packaging scheme like
>>> this, I should be using Mac OSX as my primary operating system.
>>
>> well no-one is going to make you use PBIs
>
> Yes, but if I now have to waste more bandwidth and disk space
> installing packages, why shouldn't I go to another operating system?
> Switching over to PBIs will reel in more desktop and entry-level
> sysadmins, etc, but I fear that it will isolate folks in the embedded
> market as well as several more seasoned users because of the
> implications involved with the extra bandwidth requirement and
> footprint.
>
> This gave me a bit of a chuckle. PBI would not be intended as a replaceme=
nt
> for ports,
> rather a utilizing of ports in such a way that we can start building
> self-contained, stand-alone
> binaries for end-users and those of us who value their time more than a f=
ew
> MB of disk space.
> Considering at every BSD conference it seems that the majority of develop=
ers
> are running Mac
> laptops, it would seem that even some developers agree with the principle=

I also, noticed this, and a several years back I was a Newcomer to FreeBSD
I was at BSDCan, and I wondered, why are all the developers using OSX?

it was then that I knew,that if we could get PC-BSD to the point where
the FreeBSD
developers CHOSE to use it over say OSX, we would REALLY help FreeBSD
as a whole.
it is for this exact reason, I believe PBI's should be merged in with
the ports tree in some fashion.

I do have a question, assuming PBI's were merged officially into the
FreeBSD ports tree,
say I had PostgreSQL Server installed, via PBI. then I wanted to tweak
a setting so I:

cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql84-server/ && make deinstall clean

would the PBI at this point be removed? or no because it is self contained?