Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2013 16:54:15 +0200
From:      Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial@gmail.com>
To:        John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
Cc:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why delete KDE3 ports?

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 4:43 PM, John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st> wrote:
> On 1/7/2013 15:22, Mikhail T. wrote:
>>
>> On 07.01.2013 03:33, freebsd-ports-request@freebsd.org wrote:
>>>
>>> portname: accessibility/kdeaccessibility
>>> maintainer:ports@FreeBSD.org
>>> deprecated because: Depends on QT3; unmaintained
>>> expiration date: 2013-07-01
>>> build errors: none.
>>>
>>> overview:http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/portoverview.py?category=accessibility&portname=kdeaccessibility
>>>
>> Once again a working port (no build errors) is scheduled for deletion on
>> the grounds of simply being "unmaintained".
>>
>> Please, reconsider deleting this and other KDE-3 ports.
>

> I don't normally agree with Mikhail's rants to save old ports, but in the
> case of KDE-3, I am inclined to share his view.
>
> Are KDE-3 ports causing any problems?  I don't know if KDE-3 is still be
> developed upstream, but if it's not it doesn't really need much maintenance.
>
> John

I'm asking this on behalf of the port maintainers so they don't have
to. I'm not a committer nor a maintainer of any ports myself fyi.

Are you willing to step up as the maintainer of the KDE3 ports? Or
anyone else reading this? The situation with ports like KDE3 is that
they are lots of work to keep up in shape and if no one wants to
maintain them they succumb to what is called "bitrot" very quickly
when something changes in dependent ports or in the base system.

-Kimmo