Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 12:55:42 -0400
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@targetnet.com>
To:        Bob Van Valzah <Bob@WhiteBarn.Com>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@ehlo.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VLAN Config Advice

* Bob Van Valzah (Bob@WhiteBarn.Com) [000806 01:43]:

> I should've said I'm on a Cisco 2924XL. I'm using this config for the port
>
>       interface FastEthernet0/13
>        switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
>        switchport mode trunk

I've done this with a 2924XL running IOS 12 and also with a 7204VXR running
IOS 12.1.  I didn't use switchport trunk though; that's usually for trunking
two physical ports into one virtual port so that you can have more than
100Mb/s bandwidth between two units (usually two switches).

On the 2924XL, I use this type of config for a port which is just on one
VLAN:

interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport access vlan 1

If the port is on multiple VLANs:

interface FastEthernet0/1
 switchport multi vlan 2,3

On the router I use 'encapsulation dot1q #' to configure the sub-interfaces
of the physical interface I am doing vlans on.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                           james@targetnet.com
Targetnet.com Inc.                              Voice/Fax +1 416 306-0466/0452