Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:29:24 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        SADA Kenji <sada@bsdclub.org>
Cc:        <lioux@FreeBSD.org>, <yoshiaki@kt.rim.or.jp>, <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: RESTRICTED flag could be needed for ports/audio/lame

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, SADA Kenji wrote:

> >From CVS log of ports/audio/lame/Makefile:
>
> > Code is now under GPL, remove the RESTRICTED flag.
> >
> > Submitted by:   Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
>
> LAME ports' restriction was for mp3 patent sake,
> not for code copyright.
No, they used to be patch to the fh code, which couldn't be redistributed
afaik.

> Please see http://lame.sourceforge.net :
>
>   "Personal and commercial use of compiled versions of LAME (or any other
>   mp3 encoder) requires a patent license in some countries."
>
> Are you completely sure it is safe ?
Note the word "use" - not "distribute", the code and binary can be
distributed, it may not be used somewhere under certain circumstances.
People kill people, not guns or bullets.

> # My comment ``condition is not clear'' was not suitable, sorry.
it surely wasn't clear :)

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]