Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:03:20 +0200 (EET)
From:      Penisoara Adrian <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current dying horribly when using lp0

Hi,

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Stephane E. Potvin wrote:

> Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > Are you running IP firewall?
>
> I've tried a kernel (3.0-CURRENT #0: Mon Feb  9 14:25:19 EST 1998) with
> IPFIREWALL disabled and got the same trap 12.
>
> I doubt that it is hardware related as I have 2 computers experiencing the
> same problem. Is there anyone else able to reproduce it? If not then I'll
> begin to check my hardware for a defective part.

 I might be one case; This is 3.0-971117-SNAP here, but it might very well
be the same problem as current of the day; if not, all my apologises...

  Situation:
   -> sio0 + sio1 used for PPP over leased lines (which tend to be pretty
      noisy some times) ; I believe this might be the source of the
      problems, as someone else did have problems with lp0...
   -> 2 PCI ethernet cards
   -> IP Firewalling activated, "open" type
        Thing is that I saw one time a
              "65535    1       60 deny ip from any to any"
        in my "security check output" but it can't be this, I
        experienced panics like this even before activating IPFW

====[ Hand rewritten panic that I experienced this morning ]====
Fatak trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
mp_lock = 00000002; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
fault virtual address   = 0xc0004
fault code              = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01b81ae
stack pointer           = 0x10:0xf49b3b48
frame pointer           = 0x10:0xf4933b60
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process         = 12879 (sendmail)
interrupt mask          = net bio cam <- SMP:XXX
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
mp_lock = 00000002; cpuid = 0; lapic.id = 00000000
boot() called on cpu#0

syncing disks

nm /kernel | sort | more :
---------------------------
f01b7028 T _pmap_protect
f01b7248 T _pmap_enter
f01b74ac t _pmap_enter_quick
f01b7584 T _pmap_object_init_pt
f01b7898 T _pmap_prefault
f01b7a60 T _pmap_change_wiring
f01b7b08 T _pmap_copy
f01b7cc4 T _pmap_kernel
f01b7cf0 T _pmap_zero_page
f01b7d90 T _pmap_copy_page
f01b7e3c T _pmap_pageable
f01b7e44 T _pmap_page_exists
f01b7f0c T _pmap_remove_pages
f01b8048 t _pmap_testbit             **
f01b8110 t _pmap_changebit           **
f01b8228 T _pmap_page_protect        **
f01b8250 T _pmap_phys_address
f01b825c T _pmap_ts_referenced
f01b8324 T _pmap_is_modified
f01b8334 T _pmap_clear_modify
f01b8348 T _pmap_clear_reference
f01b835c t _i386_protection_init
f01b83e0 T _pmap_mapdev
f01b8460 T _pmap_mincore
f01b855c T _pmap_activate
f01b85b8 T _pmap_addr_hint

 And related to this, David Greenman suggested that my problem might be a
bug in execve() from kern_exec.c ; I has been a month since I patched the
kernel and I got again 2 panics of this kind. So execve() is out of
discussion for me. (What about PR#5313 though ?)

> --
> Stephane E. Potvin
> sepotvin@videotron.ca

 Hoping this helps somehow...