Date:      Sun, 08 Apr 2001 05:10:46 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        snap-users@kame.net
Cc:        users@ipv6.org, net@freebsd.org, ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Consolidating KAME SPD rules and IPFW / IPfilter.

Hi,

Itojun says this has been discussed before and that the solution
is almost ready to go. I can take some time of my dayjob work to
help this, which is why I want to know exactly the status and
direction.

This is my proposal, not knowing what folks at Kame and FreeBSD
have been cooking:

Itojun wrote in response:
>         this is the tricky part.  IPsec policy and ipfw/ipfilter/divert/
>         whatever is doing almost the same thing, and conflict in very difficult
>         ways.  I'm trying to improve NetBSD situation, as shown in
>         http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/ipsec/#ipf-interaction.
>         NetBSD 1.5.1/1.6 should be a lot better than before.
>
>         for FreeBSD, there was a discussion on one of FreeBSD mailing lists.
>         not sure the particular change got committed to the FreeBSD tree or not.
>
>         the ultimate solution would be to integrate packet filter and ipsec
>         policy engine into one, there's an ongoing effort on that direction.

And obviously I fully agree. But the problem for the Kame folks seems
to be that the *BSD are disparate and moving targets for consolidating
packet filtering and IPsec policy management.

Shoichi Sakane wrote:

> [...] I am not sure all *bsd have same method to hook a ip packet.
> Do all *bsd have ipfw in this case ?  I know IPFilter is implemented
> to FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD.  But it cannot handle a ipv6 packet
> accurately.
>
> I like to use a general useful pakcet filter function in order to process
> IPSec if it is implemented to all *bsd.

And he also mentions:

> First, KAME IPSec stack is not friendly with NAT.  We don't live in NAT
> environment, so we haven't ever considered about being with NAT.
> If you want to use NAT with IPSec, you have to consider the changing IP
> address in IP packet and the processing order.

To which I can only say that in IPv4 world and VPN, NAT is almost
mandatory. For me, using NAT allows me to set up VPN specific
routing for my special project within a corporate network without
bothering the network administrator with using FreeBSD instead of
their Cisco stuff for routing. FreeBSD/KAME needs NAT for allowing
it to being used in production environments today. NAT comes with
IPFW, which is where the circle closes.

I would prefer combining IPsec policy with IPFW rather than IPfilter.
But I may not have the full scoop about IPfilter. What's FreeBSD's
direction? I would also rather see one way, IPFW or IPfilter being
mainstream on FreeBSD and NetBSD (for very selfish reasons, i.e.,
once I need to deploy my stuff on a StrongARM board, I must switch
to NetBSD.) I like IPFW a lot and my understanding is that it can
do more than IPfilter, but I may be wrong?

I am tempted to "outsource" the IPsec functionality away from the
kernel using a demon on a divert socket, just like NATD. This would
be more modular and keeps the kernel from panicing because of bugs
in IPsec -- I did have embarrassing kernel crashes, just when I bragged
about FreeBSD running rock solid :0(.

I have read about pipsecd, but would like to stand by the excellent
work of the Kame people.

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine